The Schizophrenia Rehabilitation Program at Hartford Hospital / Institute of Living provides specialized training for individuals with schizophrenia and related disorders.
The Program emphasizes the development of cognitive skills and motivation as the foundation for building more productive and satisfying daily lives. Neuropsychological rehabilitation techniques are applied in a very structured environment throughout the treatment. The program aims to enable patients to experience success and gradually build upon these successes to improve functioning at work, at school, and in the community.
- Neurocognitive assessment
- Attention and memory training
- Motivation and initiative training
- Psychiatric medication evaluation and treatment
- Vocational and functional rehabilitation
- Classes on mental illness and treatment
- Family visits
- Family education and support programs
Typical schedule is 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM, 3 days / week. Additional scheduling is available.
Cognitive remediation, motivation and skills groups, medication evaluation and treatment, functional and vocational assessment and rehabilitation, case management, and supportive psychotherapy are provided.
Back to Top
The Schizophrenia Rehabilitation Program at the Institute of Living offers services for individuals with schizophrenia and related disorders at various levels of need.
- Individuals during the first few years of illness are helped to develop skills that facilitate positive community functioning.
- Individuals with persistent disabilities are helped to return to work, school and/or other meaningful activities.
- Individuals who require a supported living situation may participate in our training program while living in a group residence on the hospital grounds.
Back to Top