The following questions do not take the place of a professional assessment and are not designed to make a formal diagnosis of an addiction.
However, some of these questions might help you identify potentially harmful behaviors and determine whether you or a loved one has a substance abuse problem or addiction that needs professional treatment. If you answer “yes” to two or more of these questions, you or your loved one could have a problem with alcohol or drugs. Help is available today by calling 1.877.577.3233.
- Has someone close to you commented on your use?
- Do you find yourself preoccupied with the thoughts of drinking or using drugs?
- Is your home life unhappy because of your alcohol or drug use?
- Are you in jeopardy of losing your job or family because of use?
- Do you need to drink or use to have fun or to enhance your social life?
- Do you hide your use or lie about the amount you drink or use?
- Do you drink or use while you are alone?
- Do you suffer from loss of memory as a result of drinking / drug use?
- Do you drink or use to cope with feelings of pain, anger, anxiety or depression?
- Do you take more medication, or feel the need for more than is prescribed?
- Do you go to multiple physicians to get the same medications?